Forester Job Announcement (Printable PDF)
Jefferson Resource Company (JRC) is accepting applications from prospective Foresters with immediate openings. JRC is a full-service forestry and environmental consulting firm with headquarters in Yreka, California.
Position Title: Forester
Work Location: Positions are currently available in our Yreka, CA and Anderson, CA offices.
Summary: Applicants must have a California Registered Professional Foresters (RPF) license or be able to take the RPF exam within one year (with a minimum of one year’s field experience performing the essential duties listed below).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Preparing Timber Harvest Plans and NTMPs;
- Project management;
- Prepare timber sales, including layout, flagging stream zones, boundaries, habitat retention zones, road layout, etc.;
- Supervise staff of assistant foresters and forestry technicians;
- Supervise Logging Operations;
- Timber marking;
- Timber cruising;
- Exercises excellent field mapping skills;
- Travels safely and effectively in steep, rugged terrain and in adverse weather conditions; camps outdoors if required;
- Participates in other job duties as requested including but not limited to: Northern Spotted Owl surveys, vegetation surveys, stream surveys, road and culvert inventory, etc.;
- Applies a high degree of self-motivation, excellent organizational and communication skills, good decision-making skills, and a positive attitude to all areas of work.
Qualifications: To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Must maintain and carry a valid driver license and remain eligible to operate company vehicles including automobiles, trucks and/or all-terrain vehicles in accordance with company policy guidelines.
Education and Experience Must have a valid CA Registered Professional Foresters license or a minimum of a four-year degree in Forestry. Preference will be given to those that have a valid California RPF license with at least two years of experience preparing timber harvest plans/sales and be proficient in field work including silvicultural determinations, classifying & flagging stream zones, boundaries, habitat retention zones, marking timber, road layout, etc. Production timber cruising and timber marking experience in a production setting is preferred. To perform this position successfully, an individual must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs and have a working knowledge of GIS and GPS systems.
Physical Demands While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to hike, walk, sit, and communicate. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Heavy items (backpacks, equipment, supplies) must be lifted or moved on a frequent basis. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus. Specific hearing abilities required by this position are auditory perception.
Travel Requirements: Travel by truck and overnight stays are not uncommon.
Salary: Highly competitive compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Individuals interested in these positions must send cover letter and résumé to:
Jefferson Resource Company PO Box 277, Weed, CA 96094 -or- email firstname.lastname@example.org